DIRECT PAYMENTS INFORMATION
Direct Payments Courses for Direct Employers and Personal Assistants
**Dates will be added once confirmed**
Introduction to Direct Payments training for Direct Employers(Direct Payment recipients)
(fully funded/free to attend)
This FULLY FUNDED series of training sessions have been developed by people who receive direct payments and longstanding recipients of direct payments. The programme is also available to anyone who funds their own care as a Self-funder who also wants to know more about their rights and responsibilities as an employer.
Whether or not you employ a Personal Assistant, these sessions will help you to understand how to manage your direct payment effectively and will give you clear guidance about your rights and responsibilities in this regard.
The importance of good communication, good employment practice and the legal implications of your role will be included throughout the programme.
Here is an outline about what you can expect from the full programme.
Day 1: Recruitment
· Writing job descriptions & person specifications: Preparing job adverts: Advertising: Shortlisting: Interviewing: Making a job offer
Day: 2 Contracts
· Pay; Pension; Redundancy; insurance; What the Support Agencies Offer; Role of Birmingham City Council Finance Team
Day 3: Induction
Supervision; Learning & Development; Health & Safety; Risk Assessments; Managing Working Relationships; Sources of Support Available
We also put on a range of different awareness courses, either face to face, or since lockdown we have been doing virtual courses accessed via Microsoft Teams. Here are some of the courses we run:
Safer People Handling
Safer people handling tasks must be done correctly to prevent injury.
- Learn techniques to keep you safe
- Look at specific examples that you might have
- Risk assessments
- Signposting to get extra support if needed
First Aid Basic Life Support
- Principles of emergency aid
- Basic Life Support (CPR)
- Recognition and control of bleeding
- Treatment of burns and scalds
- Do you want to understand the principles of making safeguarding personal?
- Recognise the signs of abuse and abusive activities/situations?
- Know what to do if you have concerns about possible abuse?
This session is about helping adults keep themselves safe and give you some insight into what to do if and when you come across safeguarding.
- Introduction to food safety
- Food safety hazards
- Food handlers
- Food pests
- Hazard analysis
- Explore how medication works.
- Be able to spot causes of concern over medication.
- be able to reliable check information on medication.
- explore how to apply creams
- explore correct use on nasal sprays and inhalers
- explore how to question/challenge medication in a professional way.
- role of NICE guidance on treatments
We do organise other training activities, please contact email@example.com if you want further information, or to book on any of the following awareness sessions.
You can also access our list of elearning courses, that will help you and your Personal Assistant learn more about different conditions such as dementia, autism etc. You will need to create a new account when using for the first time, if you need help please do not hesitate to contact us on 0121 303 0990 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be able to download a certificate to print off after completion.
Direct Payments Information and Resources
The information on this page is for Direct Payment Recipients, Personal Assistants and anyone who would like to gain further knowledge on the processes, benefits and support around Direct Payments.
If you are from Birmingham City Council Assessment and Support Planning and please visit the Direct Payments Learning Resources homepage where you will find the e-learning, case scenarios and other information to support your role.
What are Direct Payments?
Becoming an Employer
If you are a considering taking up a Direct Payment and employing your own Personal Assistant the information below may be of use to you.
Please note this material is provided solely for reference purposes for delegates of this event. It remains (c) The Change Agency and must not be altered, distributed or reused in any way without the express written permission of Mahtab Khan